AUGUST 1 MOVEMENTS NATIONAL DAY OF WORKING CLASS ACTION!
Government has failed us with its promises. It has not provided the food relief or grants that it promised. Instead of providing us with houses where we can be safe, it is evicting us from our shacks, especially when we lose our jobs and can no longer pay rent in the townships and elsewhere. The government’s police and army use violence and force against us, instead of protecting us against gender-based violance, and the violence of landowners and employers. Health workers work night and day to protect us, but government fails to protect them. Government fails to provide us with water and sanitiser. The government has abandoned us and tells us we are on our own. All actions must implement the greatest possible social distancing and health measures: Always keep 1,5 metres apart at all times, wear a mask at all times, avoid touching your face, bring extra hand sanitiser for comrades.
Read the press statement here
VIDEOS / RECORDINGS
More videos from the actions on August 1 can be found on the YouTube page here
C19 People’s Coalition on uniting people in national day of working class action #C19MassAction – Cape Talk Midday Report
Sterkspruit community health workers action: speech by Mrs Tshuleka (HOTA) – AUGUST 1 MOVEMENT
Community health workers in the Eastern Cape take action – AUGUST 1 MOVEMENTS
Speech given by Simphiwe Zwane at the action outside Gauteng Legislature – AUGUST 1 MOVEMENTS
GIWUSA – worker’s demonstration in Braamfontein
- Johannesburg – See poster for demands, Gauteng Legislature @10am. Contact:Thami Hukwe 062 309 0468. Participating organisations: Giwusa, Cwao, Simunye Workers Forum, Gauteng Housing Crisis Committee, Gauteng EPWP Forum, Sisonke Social Movement, 5 community structures aligned to C19.
- Tembisa – Anti-GBV protest. Contact: Edgar 071 455 3500.
- Robertsham – Housing action. Contact: Ayesha 078 464 2198. Participating organisations: Robertsham Tenants Association.
- Tembelihle – Anti-GBV protest. Contact: Simphiwe 072 944 8250.
- Nigel – Stop the retrenchments of SPAR workers, Nigel Spar. Contact:Lebo 071 131 6448.
- Soweto – Protea South, shut down from 7:30am to 9:30am. Contact: Bongani 082 525 3969. Participating organisations: Soweto Sukuma Sinqobe Movement and C19 Peoples Coalition Gauteng.
- Makhanda – March from Settlers Monument to Beaufort Street @10am. Contact: Bongani Gomba 0682865850. Participating organisations: UPM, LCMF, CHWs. Key demands: Permanency of all CHWs, water and sanitation for all residents of Makhanda, speeding up of putting Makana Municipality into administration
- Idutywa Joined by KWT, Mdantsane, eNgcobo – Next to Ace Ngcobo B&B @10am. Contact: Anele Mbi 0739080386. Participating organisations: UPM, LCMF, CHWs, Eastern Cape Water Caucus. Key demands: Permanency of all CHWs, water and food relief for all, PPE for all rural residents, end to GBV, BIG
- Nelson Mandela Bay – Rink Street Engen/ Horse Memorial march to City Hall via Western Rd @10am. Contact: Siya Mama 065 970 7079. Participating organisations: Makhukanye Rural Movement, Assembly of the Unemployed, United Front, Amandla Collective, XR Nelson Mandela Bay, LCMF, NUCOSA, YNITU, EFF. Key demands: Permanency of CHWs. GBV, farm evictions, protect farm workers rights, food and water sovereignty for all, BIG, Clean & safe potable water for all, Water for food growing, People’s participation in the decision to redistribute water.
- Kouga Municipality, Uitenhage, Patterson, Addo – Mini actions starts at Thornhill location @10:30 to 11:30, rally starts @ 12h00 at Longmore farm (community soccer stadium). Contact: Vuyisile Sikani 063 062 9320. Participating organisations: Sundays River Valley Farm Workers Forum, Kouga Farm Workers Union. Key demands: Immediate and correct payment of TERS beneft to all farm workers, Department of Labour and Employment should penalise all employers who have failed to pay relief funds to workers, End to racism on farms, enforcement of Labour Relations Act
- Sterkspruit joined by Lundini, Alvano, Lady Frere – Caltex Garage Sterkspruit @10am. Contact: Moyikwa 0835206793. Participating organisations: United Community Health Workers. Key demands:Permanent jobs for all Care Givers, Stop to Gender Based Violence, Basic Income Grant, Food & Water Sovereignty for All, People’s Participation in All Decisions.
- Nqamakwe Village – Meet at Jekezi J.S.school @10am. Nothobile Mcimeli 0832101616. Participating organisations: Abanebhongo People With Disabilities. Key demands: Stop Gender-based Violence, Basic Income Grant, Food and Water Sovereignty and People’s participation in all decisions!
- Cofimvaba – Cofimvaba Stadium. Contact: Loyisa Tsomo 078 939 6649.
- Elliot – Old location Hall @10am. Contact George Nqoko 060 464 0788 . Participating organisations: Elliot advice office, Sanco, Elliot Farmers Association and Elliot Residents Association. Key demands: food security and evictions of farm workers ,gender base violence.
- Gugulethu and Nyanga – Meet at the Police Station. Contact: Joyce Malebo 0670355494. Participating organisations: Gugulethu backyard dwellers. Key demands: Housing and jobs.
- Gugulethu and Nyanga – Tulbagh door to door. Contact: Naomi Beta 0735286090. Participating organisations: Witzenberg Justice Coalition. Key demands: Demands the suspension of all electricity bill until level 0, demand free flowing water for all; enough houses must be built for our people; immediate payment of UIF TERS money to all workers who lost wages.
- Cerest, Bella Vista, PrIns Alfred, Hamlet, Nduli, Wolseley & Tulbagh – Tulbagh door to door. Contact: Naomi Beta 0735286090. Participating organisations: Witzenberg Justice Coalition. Key demands: Speak out calling for an end to evictions and gender based violence.
- Suurbraak and Robertson – Contact: Reinette Heunis 0834022150. Participating organisations: Mawubuye. Key demands: Stop repression and police brutality.
- Khayelitsha – Khayelitsha police station @9am. Contact: Tholakele Sikhosdana 0717165700. Participating organisations: Khayelitsha R2K. Key demands: Stop repression and police brutality.
- Mitchells Plain – Mitchells Plain police station @9am. Contact: Carman Casten 0762173482. Participating organisations: R2K. Key demands: Stop repression and police brutality.
- Lutzeville – Lutzeville police station @9am. Contact: Daven Witbooi
0715922361. Participating organisations: R2K. Key demands: Stop repression and police brutality.
- Delft – Delft police station @9am. Contact: Bravo Thompson 0737547116. Participating organisations: R2K. Key demands: Stop repression and police brutality.
- Nyanga – Nyanga police station @ 9am. Contact: Nowhi Mdayi 0796661672. Participating organisations: R2K. Key demands: Picket against police brutality.
- Khaylitsha – Transport available from Athlone (Contact: Kashiefa Achmat 0731827862). Meeting point Town 2 Embengweni. Contact Athenkosi Sikeyi 0640308337. Participating organisations: Housing assembly. Key demands: End police brutality.
- Khayelitsha – Contact: Masa Nkawule 0679026629. Participating organisations: Khayelitsha Community Labour Media Forum, Barney Molokana Community Development
- Cape Town – Cape Town train station @9am and Department of Labour offices @10am. Contact: Anele Mehlo 0787656727. Participating organisations: Workers from President, Blu Adcrop Hospitality Agent. Key demands: Stay away from drugs campaign is calling on the state to address this issue; an end to dismissals, retrenchments; delays and non payment of UIF TERS relief funds
- Woodstock – Picket at Mountain Road @10am. Contact: 0844389117. Participating orgnaisations: Cissie Gool occupation. Key demands: Against the violence of the law enforcement
- Thembalethu (George) – Thembalethu township. Contact: Ricardo 0732158548. Participating organisations: Southern Cape Land Committee.
- Azania, Stellenbosch – Azania. Contact: Mangaliso 0763163274. Participating organisations: Jozi2Stellenbosch